Rapid Earth Fault Current Limiter (REFCL) is a new innovative technology deployed by the Victorian government to mitigate bushfire risk from power lines. Implementation of this new technology brings certain challenges to both the power utilities and HV customers assets. We can assist to quantify these impacts and implement the regulated works to ensure you are REFCL ready.
Middleton Group provides specialist high voltage power design and delivery solutions to HV connected customers impacted by the REFCL roll-out.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
• REFCL Impact Assessment
– Impact of REFCL on HV customer's network
– Operational and reliability implications on the HV customer facilities
– Determination of necessary upgrades to meet impending regulation changes
– Protection Setting changes
• Options Study
– Outlining the risks, reliability, and losses for each option
– Provide budgetary costs for each option
– Recommend a technically feasible solution for the site
• HV Network Augmentation
– Design and specification of HV upgrades required to comply with proposed regulation changes
– Design and specification of isolation transformer required to comply with proposed regulation changes
– Procurement, project management and commissioning services associated with the implementation of HV upgrades/isolation transformer required to become REFCL Ready
• Project Execution
– Develop scope documents to the client requirements in the early project phase life cycle in preparation
– Manage the procurement, supply, construction and final commissioning
– Detailed planning for execution in line with our clients governance systems and processes
– Program planning and forecast cost scheduling
– Optimised contracting and delivery strategies for execution to reduce risk and project cost
WHY CHOOSE US?
• Our Project Services Team are embedded with our Designers offering an intelligent constructible solution from the project concept stage through to completion
• Proven experience determining the impact of REFCL technology on HV connected customers
• Extensive knowledge of operational and reliability implications of the REFCL technology on industrial plants and connected generators
• Strong industrial and infrastructure HV experience, so we understand your operational needs and can advise on how REFCL may impact on your core business
• Extensive knowledge of the Victorian power distribution network
RECENT REFCL IMPACT ASSESSMENTS
• We have successfully completed REFCL Impact Assessment/options study reports for:
1. Pacific Energy Stage Cardinia
2. Pacific Energy Blue Rock
3. Olex Lillydale
4. Wonthaggi Windfarm
5. Bulla REFCL Impact Colac
6. Melbourne Water Silvan
7. Esso Australia
8. D&R Henderson
9. Laminex Ballarat
10. Unigrain Ballarat
11. Fonterra Dennington
12. Imerys Minerals Pittong
13. Barwon Health Geelong
14. Melbourne Water - Olinda
15. AKD Softwoods
16. Sun Pharmaceuticals Port Fairy
17. Air Liquide Australia
18. McCain Foods Ballarat
19. Melbourne Water Thomson dam
20. Melbourne Water Thomson Mini Hydro
21. Gippsland Water Blue Rock
22. Mars Ballarat
REFCL Impact Assessment and Options Study for Blue Rock and Cardinia Site, Pacific Energy
That's a very comprehensive report we very much appreciate your efforts and professionalism.
It's a genuine pleasure to work with a company that understands the importance of customer relations.
We won't hesitate to recommend you to any other's that may need the services Middleton offer. - Paul Gardner, GM, Pacific Energy
REFCL Impact Assessment and Options Study for Blue Rock Site, Gippsland Water
Thanks very much for your work on our REFCL Assessment report.
Your report was comprehensive and its delivery very timely. We now have an excellent basis for planning our way forward for this site.
I have found it a pleasure to work with the Middleton group – a very professional operation! - Gary Fox, Electrical Engineer, Broadspectrum|Gippsland Water
REFCL Impact Assessment and Options Study for Benalla Site, D&R Henderson
Firstly I would like to commend the professionalism and dedication of your team. Your team was made of experience and expertise. As for my organisation and I, the expected outcomes were successfully met. Firstly we wanted to know the impact of REFCL on our organisation. We wanted to know the options available to us. And most importantly we wanted to know some budgetary costs for the business to make the site REFCL ready.
In a very short time period, your team was able to give me a few options to work with. The impact assessment was very thorough and informative, given that I did not have details such as cable make and type, year of installation, equipment manuals, termination details, bushing details etc.
The report included issues which could have easily been missed by site engineers like myself. For example issues like metering equipment suitability, PPE upgrades to withstand higher voltages and protection setting changes.
I would not hesitate to recommend Middleton Group to anyone wishing to engage them for a similar service. - Sheeshendra Deo, Site Electrical Manager, D&R Henderson
Middleton Group can assist you to understand the impact of the REFCL program on your HV assets, enabling you to make informed decisions on becoming REFCL ready.
If you are an HV customer looking to understand the impact of this new technology, feel free to contact Keith Middleton or Abrar Aziz. If you are a curious Power Engineer, we would happy to answer any queries to the best of our knowledge!